Monday, August 11, 2008

Our First Vacation



Okay, so we've taken Evie some places, but this was the first time that we went just the three of us. Like real grown-up parents. Crazy, huh? It was actually wonderful. I think we'll do it again sometime. :)

We went to Giant Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks, Yosemite, Devils Postpile and Great Basin. All in all I think we hiked about 46.5 miles (with Evan taboot), but who's counting?

It was quite an adventure with all the bears and hiking and driving and scary motels. But we made it back to tell our tale.

Actually I don't have too much to say, here are some of the choicest pics of the (no lie) 500+ we took.

Giant Sequoia was beautiful. The trees are giant. Strain your eyes and see if you can even see us standing next to them.

General Sherman is the largest known living tree.

some big roots

Can you see me and Evan on the right?

There was also a cave. We got Evie all suited up to stay warm. Funny story: the guide stopped our group in a room and started talking about all of the features. All of the sudden we smelled this awful aroma and we could hear the little culprit grunting on the front of me. It was dark but not dark enough to cover Evie's pooping face. It was all Andy and I could do to not just totally lose it laughing. It smelled so bad and you could totally hear her grunting it out, in a cave no less.


Ahh relief!

This is pretty much how Evan spent all of the hikes.


On to King's Canyon:



Playing with "Leonard" the rabbit. Another funny story: our friend named Evan's rabbit Leonard without knowing that it is Andy's middle name and the name of Grandpa Howell. So, Leonard it is. She loves it!

Me jumping off of Muir Rock. Super cold water, Super good time!

Born to hike...

but don't let the bears bite!
We didn't make her sleep in the bear box, though it was tempting after I saw a bear run through our campsite. We saw 5 bears!


Yosemite:

Star trails

wildflower trails


Great Basin:


Bristlecone Pine. what's so great about this trees? There are about 3 groves (that I know of) in Great Basin and the trees are literally THOUSANDS of years old. They accidentally cut one down in the sixties and discovered it was 5900 years old. so it started growing when the pyramids were being built. Needless to say, these are now protected. How cool is that?


And that's our trip folks!

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

She is getting so big! I can't belive it. She has such cute little cheeks. I am so proud of you guys for taking her out camping. She is such a trooper! I love the picture from the last trip where she is drinking her milk from the straw. She is born hiker!

Ashley said...

What a fun trip. Chuck and I really wanted to go to that area when we lived out west.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

What a great trip. Good for you guys for braving it with a baby. Shawn your hair is sooo long. Evan is getting so cute too. Beautiful pictures.

emH said...

Hooray! I love the hot pink aviator cap. I've got some more things I need to pass along to lil' Evi. We miss you guys already. I couldn't be happier for your little family. What great adventures! What memories! What a lovely family!

M and M Madsen said...

looks like soo much fun. such a cute little family!

Jen said...

Shawn, Evan is beautiful! I know it's a little late, but Congrats on being a fairly new mom!

Meredith said...

I think that it's great that you love hiking.

Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.