Friday, August 8, 2008

Dear John, How Could You?

Dear John Edwards,

It is with a heavy heart that I lament, "how could you?" I truly do not understand. Honestly I am somewhat shocked at how deeply this affects me. I can not say that I have necessarily supported you in your high political aspirations, though we belong to the same party; however, I have never previously been offended by you either. So, why I am reeling at the news of your infidelity? What does it matter to me? Isn't this a "family matter" for you and your wife?

I have spent considerable time pondering this and here is what I've concluded. It matters to me because I have a hope for leaders who are true and virtuous. I guess that is somewhat naive of me. Even our great founding fathers had moral weaknesses. As I visited Monticello and partook of the estate Thomas Jefferson created with slave labor I realized that I cannot abide a lack of integrity in leaders. No one is perfect, but a complete lack of integrity regarding ideals that one espouses is intolerable to me.

I am actually one who does not believe in legislating morality despite my own strict moral compass. I think morals come from within. So, how could you? One who has held himself out as a moral family man. One who has criticised others for this very conduct? This isn't about sex; it's about trust. How could you be so senseless, reckless, entitled, selfish, momentary? Vote for you? How could I put my trust in your decisions as a leader expecting you to do what is right for many when you choose only to do what is right for yourself? Your remorse is well-placed. But how could this country repair itself and progress with a leader who leads his own family and self down a road of regrets. You could have been great, but now you are only a disappointment by your own choosing. America deserves better; I deserve better.

I am an idealist to be sure, but despite having men, not immortals for leaders, I think men in power can do better. I believe men and women in high offices can be clean. I believe leaders can practice what they preach. I won't stop voting. I won't stop hoping for leaders with integrity. And I am sure that I won't stop hurting.

Sincerely,
Shawn Howell

No comments: