Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"God has shown favor"


Evan
God has shown Favor
also a Welsh derivative of "John" like the name "Shawn"

Alice
Sweet




Andy and I pretty much picked out the name Evan within a few hours of finding out she was a girl. That might seem strange since it is traditionally a boy's name, but my only association with the name was a childhood girlfriend, so to me it is a girl's name. It was pretty much only one of two names we even discussed and the other name was summarily dismissed by Andy upon my suggestion of it, so Evan it is. I finalized the decision to name her Evan when I found out what it meant, "God has shown favor." To me that is just perfect for how I feel about her. I don't know why I have been so highly favored to have such a sweet baby, but I have to express my overwhelming gratitude.

The name Alice comes from Evan's great-grandmother Howell. Grandma Howell died this last summer. I won't go into my experience completely, but I will say that at her funeral I felt very strongly that the time had come that we would finally have a baby. I found out two days later that I was pregnant. At Grandma Howell's funeral I felt so proud to be a Howell. What an amazing family and lineage that Evan now has!

Thank you Lord for showing us such sweet favor.

8 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

She is beautiful. I can't decide who she looks like. One picture it is Shawn and another it is Andy. she must be a perfect mix. I'm so happy for you guys and how lucky that she came early. Fun times lay ahead. The first 3 months are the hardest and then everything gets WAY better.

emH said...

I could look at these all day. She is absolutely angelic. You guys have such a talent with the camera too. Given out of 200 pics a few SHOULD be good, but I've seen and know you have talent. All of us are so happy for you. Hooray for blessings like Evan!

Suzanne said...

I love the name and its meaning. What a special story. She is a cutie! I love the mohawk!

LittleFamilyJL said...

What an adorable little girl!!! CONGRATULATIONS you guys! We are so happy for you and hope enjoy every precious moment with Evan.
And with her finally here, maybe we can now negotiate some kind of an arranged-marriage deal with our Little Man! :)

Emily W said...

she is soooo beautiful, congratulations Shawn, I am so happy for you and Andy.

M and M Madsen said...

love these pictures. she is so beautiful.

Nana said...

Shawn and Andy, Your baby daughter is so adorable! That little smile is priceless. Evan and Suzanne's Emily will only be 1 1/2 years apart. I hope they can get to know each other. I love this blogging thing. We can watch her grow. Keep that camera clicking. Love Ya, Donna

Ambrosia said...

OH MY DELICIOUS!!!

She has gotten even more gorgeous. You and Andy have done yourselves proud ;)